The Arts Bus has a new vehicle for empowering children to find joy & authentic self-expression thru the arts — and we want to showcase the work of Vermont’s youngest artists on it! In November, we are putting a Ford Transit Cargo Van into the hands of Awesome Graphics in Rutland for a Minibus Makeover, so all throughout October we are inviting children of Vermont to send us Creative Characters to decorate our minibus.
Creative Characters are any dynamic person, place, animal, creature or thing that a child imagines represents the joy of art!
The Arts Bus invites artists under 18 years old to submit up to 5 original Creative Characters for consideration in the contest. Artwork should be completed at a minimum size of 8″ x 10″ on unlined white paper with colorful markers or paint in order to photograph in high resolution. Alternatively, they can be created using digital drawing apps and/or software. We encourage artists to go BIG with ideas, color, bold strokes and imagination!
TIP: Check out the original artwork by Phil Godenschwager on the big green bus (see pictures above), inspired by the mission of The Arts Bus at its founding in which he participated. Phil’s animation of objects found in Vermont and art are wonderful – from a dancing house to painting cow! Use inspiration from home towns, make artwork large using brightly colored paint or markers with thick outlines to show character, photograph well and to stand out on our minibus in any weather!
SELECTION & AWARDS: At the end of the submission period, a panel of judges will select artwork for the minibus with many spots to fill and lots of winners! Judging criteria will include creativity, joyful inspiration, appropriateness for our brand & mission, geographic & age representation, and reproducibility, amongst other factors.
EACH ARTIST WILL BE REWARDED!.
Each artist will receive a reward for entering the contest with a prize for art empowerment. We encourage artists to tell us their favorite art medium or share their wish list of art supplies & tools, as our Rainbow Room is full of art supplies to share and we love to gift empowerment to young artists!
GRAND PRIZE AWARD: A VISIT FROM THE ARTS BUS & MINIBUS!
The top artist(s) will win a visit from The Arts Bus & Minibus to their school, afterschool, camp, or library, loaded up with an art project inspired by their Creative Character! The timing and location of the visit will be arranged with the artist(s) parent/guardian and location host when weather and schedule permit, likely to be after May 2024.
CREATIVE CHARACTER AWARDS for BEST ANIMATION, MOST SILLY SWEET, OUTSTANDING CREATIVITY, MOST BODACIOUS BUILDING, SUPER POWERED, and MORE!
Awards will be given to select artists whose Creative Characters not only are selected for the minibus, but also inspire & delight our judges!
RULES & EXPECTATIONS:
- All entries must be received by 11:59pm November 1, 2023. Entrants must be Vermont residents under 18 years old. Up to 5 entries will be considered per Artist, only 1 prize per artist will be awarded.
- Entries must be submitted via email to email@example.com with Subject Line: “Contest Entry from [Artist Name], Age [#], [Town]“. Each email submittal should include:
- Artist’s Full Name, Age, Grade & School
- The “Character Name” — as in what the Artist calls the character, like “Mustachio Piano” or “Moosical Cow”.
- A high resolution image (digital, photograph or scan) of artwork in digital format (i.e., .jpeg, .tif, .png).
- Parent/Guardian, Home Address, Telephone, Email (we will be communicating with parents/guardians directly to notify our winners before announcing to the public)
- Creative Characters must be entrant’s original, unpublished artwork and may not include any artwork subject to copyright, trademark, and/or infringes upon the rights of another person, or it will be disqualified from the contest. However, we encourage the use of public property like Town Halls, Art Centers, Schools, Libraries, Barns, Goats, Cows and other hometown & local Vermont-centric subjects!
- Any submission that is considered by Arts Bus Inc at its sole and absolute discretion to be objectionable, in whole or in part, will be disqualified and not be eligible for entry.
- By participating in the contest, each entrant grants Arts Bus Inc dba The Arts Bus the right to use such entrant’s name, Creative Character, biographical information, and publication of artwork in all media for advertising and promotional purposes, as well as on websites, vehicles, social media and/or future contests.
- By participating in the contest, each entrant also grants Arts Bus Inc dba The Arts Bus the right to use such entrant’s name, address, and email address to contact entrant, entrant’s parent/guardian, and entrant’s school, camp, or afterschool regarding the contest.
- Artists will be notified in November of the contest judging results. Every Artist that sends in a contest entry will be given a prize (1 per Artist) to empower their artistic self-expression and JOY!
THANK YOU IN EVERY WAY, SONG & COLOR TO:
BECAUSE OF VERMONT CHILDREN’S TRUST FOUNDATION, WE HAVE A MINIBUS….….AND BECAUSE OF LARGE, ANNUAL GRANTORS LIKE THESE, PRIVATE FAMILY FOUNDATIONS AND INCREDIBLE INDIVIDUALS, THE ROAD IS PAVED AHEAD.
THE ARTS MINIBUS MAGIC & MAKEOVER TEAM HAS INCLUDED THESE SUPERHEROES:
WE NEED MORE MINIBUS SUPERHEROES, TOO!
To add accessibility, cargo loading & transport features (e.g., runners, ramp, shelves) and cover long-term warranty costs, we need added financial support. To fill the bus with arts supplies & tools for up to 500 kids every week across 12-15 schools (or more), we seek financial support and partnerships with art supply providers and manufacturers. We’d be delighted to carry the names & logos of more superheroes on the minibus AND big green bus! To join our superhero team and find out more, email firstname.lastname@example.org.